Stunning waterfront views, ample green spaces, diverse neighbourhoods, and some of the country’s best shopping and dining experiences – you’ll find all of this and more in the West GTA.
If you’re looking for your next home in the area, our handy guide breaks down what you’ll love about each city in the west end of the GTA.
Burlington is an exceptional place to call home, nestled between two stunning geographical features, Lake Ontario and the Niagara Escarpment. You’ll find an abundance of green space, a breath-taking waterfront, and a diverse economy.
A safe and friendly community, Burlington is an excellent place to live and raise a family.
What you’ll love about Burlington:
- Family-friendly community with every urban amenity
- With 31.6 km of multi-use trails and 119 parks, the city is perfect for nature lovers
- Located right in between Toronto and Hamilton, you have access to a prosperous job market
- The city boasts a wide array of education options from public to private, and post-secondary schools
Learn more about Burlington here
Oakville is a wonderfully quaint lakeside town. One of Ontario’s safest places, Oakville has a beautiful waterfront, vibrant downtown, and an abundance of parks and trails.
Whether you love hiking, shopping, dining, or sports, you’ll find it here. The town is home to over 1500 hectares of green space, 200 km of trails, award-winning gardens, and an eye-catching waterfront. It’s easy to get out and enjoy nature.
What you’ll love about Oakville:
- Vibrant downtown with upscale shopping, dining, and entertainment
- Fun festivals hosted every year (Downtown Jazz Festival, Kerr Festival, Love of Arts)
- Safe, family-friendly community with lots of parks and green space
- Active sports community with a professional soccer and lacrosse team and Glen Abbey Golf Course
Learn more about Oakville here
Etobicoke offers the best of both worlds – it has all the amenities of a big city surrounded by a lush landscape of natural beauty. As the waterfront develops, the area is quickly becoming a Toronto hotspot. You’re close to the action of downtown while enjoying a more suburban feel.
What you’ll love about Etobicoke:
- Etobicoke is one of the best places to enjoy the Toronto Skyline
- Newer developments are popping up all along the waterfront with trendy shops, dining, and entertainment options
- Close to downtown and Mississauga, you have access to a bustling job market
- Active art and entertainment community, with local galleries and theatres
Learn more about Etobicoke here
Milton is one of Canada’s fastest-growing communities, attracting many new families to the area. Within the last 20 years, it went from 30,000 to over 100,000 people. The town is a vibrant community with beautiful natural attractions and small-town charm.
Backing on the Niagara Escarpment, Milton has lush green spaces, parks, and conservation areas.
Even though Milton is growing quickly, the town is preserving its rich history. The historical society regularly presents heritage-related events, such as opening Waldie’s Blacksmith Shop to tourists every year.
What you’ll love about Milton:
- The rich history of the area is lovingly preserved and shared
- Small-town charm and a family-friendly feel to the area
- The Milton Farmer’s Market is perfect for grabbing local produce and handmade gifts
- Close to Mississauga for commuters, shopping, and access to a larger city centre
Learn more about Milton here
One of Canada’s biggest cities, Mississauga, is a wonderfully diverse place to live. You’ll find numerous housing options, local natural settings, exceptional community amenities, and a thriving job market. Voted the safest city in Canada 7 years in a row, Mississauga is an incredible place to call home.
What you’ll love about Mississauga:
- Active cultural life with beautiful galleries, theatres, and museums
- The breath-taking waterfront along the shores of Lake Ontario
- An abundance of walking trails, green spaces, and parks to get out and enjoy nature
- Excellent shopping and home to the country’s largest shopping centre, Square One
- Home to Pearson Airport for those who love to travel
- One of the country’s hottest job markets with over 60 head offices for Fortune 500 companies
Learn more about Mississauga here
Part of the Niagara Escarpment, Hamilton is a diverse and vibrant city (commonly referred to as ‘The Hammer’ or ‘Steeltown’ by its residents). This diverse city has something for everyone with beautiful landscapes, picturesque lookouts, an exciting art scene, a growing culinary culture, and world-class healthcare.
Known as the waterfall capital of Canada, Hamilton has over 100 stunning waterfalls along beautiful hiking trails.
What you’ll love about Hamilton:
- There’s much to experience in the area, including Dundurn Castle, Royal Botanical Gardens, African Lion Safari, and The First Ontario Centre
- Home to the CFL’s Hamilton Tiger-Cats and has an impressive sports scene
- Vibrant art community with the Art Gallery of Hamilton and Supercrawl (an annual art & music festival)
- The historic downtown has been revitalized with trendy shops, boutiques, and eateries (visit Locke Street or Hess Village for incredible restaurants and a vibrant nightlife)
- Stunning views, picturesque waterfalls, and beautiful green spaces are dotted throughout the city
- One of Canada’s leading industrial centres, Hamilton is an economically diverse city with an abundance of job opportunities
Learn more about Hamilton here
The west GTA is a great area to live and raise a family. You’ll find everything from an urban vibe to a suburban feel with small-town charm. Each unique community has a distinct feel, so you’re sure to find the perfect place for your next home!
Search our portal for available listings in the West GTA.